Sunday, May 17, 2009

Spicy sausage & fiddlehead stew

The hot sausages are from Appleton farm's grass-fed beef and the fiddleheads are from my sister Corrine who picked them in Weld, Maine. With some sliced onion and minced garlic, a little salt and pepper, all of these things together made a most delicious, simple and healthy meal.


In a dutch oven, sautee the onions and garlic in olive oil until translucent. Cut the sausages into chunks, add to the onions and garlic and stir, cooking on medium-low heat until browned.

Add the fiddleheads, salt and pepper and stir. Add about an inch of water and bring to a boil. Drop the heat to low, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.



Serve hot with a side of vegetables, like sauteed carrots and turnips seen here.


Total prep and cook time : about 40 minutes
Total cost : about 5 dollars for two people (more if you bought the fiddleheads)



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this recipe. Given my ingredients on hand I had to make a few changes. Instead of onions, I used leeks. I had one sweet and one hot sausage, and I had some homemade chicken stock. Given the richness of the stock, fat and spice from the sausage, and sweetness of the leeks, this was well balanced and addictive, especially with a baguette on hand. I thought I would miss the firmness of a fiddlehead cooked more quickly (sautéed or blanched), but those concerns faded with each new bite. I look forward to making this again.

    ReplyDelete